If you learn something from the experience, it wasn’t a failure–at least not a complete failure.
My favorite items to remember not to say are captured below:
- We don’t know why we are here, what we are fighting for, or how to know if we are winning.
- The strategy is to fight, talk, and build. But we’re withdrawing the fighters, the Taliban won’t talk, and the builders are corrupt.
- Karzai’s family is especially corrupt.
- But the problem isn’t corruption, it is which corrupt people are getting the dollars. We have to help corruption be more fair.
- Even non-Taliban Afghans don’t much like us.
- The ANA and ANP could break the day after we leave the country.
If you can’t say something nice about Afghanistan, don’t say it at all.